Boylesport is the Emerald Isle’s largest independent bookmaker both in terms of the nearly 200 land-based betting shops they operate as well as the volume of customers that take advantage of their online offerings. The company was established in 1989 by John Boyle and has carved an aggressively independent course ever since.
Boyle is one of modern Ireland’s great success stories. Broke and struggled with a serious drink problem in 1982 he found himself out of work with a family to support. With modest loans from his father and the bank, he opened a small betting parlour and seven years later, his second. Today his 200-odd betting shops employ more than 1,200 people and bring in nearly €1bn in annual gross revenues. Boylesport went online in 2007 first as a straight-up casino and later as a sportsbook maker. The site has been crowding in on industry giants slowly but surely ever since launching.
Website Design and Functionality
As we mentioned Boylesport has carved its own independent course and that’s just the way John likes it. The website uses the company’s own proprietary software which, during the course of our trial, worked flawlessly. The Boylesport website tends to cram a lot of info into each page and while that’s not the way we’d prefer they do things it doesn’t seriously interfere with navigation or being able to find what you want. They use the same 3 column layout as most other big time sites, and whether you’re engaging in traditional wagers or taking advantage of their live betting options, you’re sure to have an ease time of it.
The number and variety of in-play betting options offered by Boylesport is one indication of why they’ve grown as fast and as large as they are today. Those sports include:
- Rugby Union
- Rugby League
- American Football
- Australian Rules
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey
- Table Tennis
- UFC / MMA
- GAA Football
- GAA Hurling
There are others as well, but we have to draw the line somewhere. If you’re more of a novice punter keep in mind that odds on the live betting markets frequently change so watch out for that.
One other note before we move on; Boylesport provide live streaming of select horse races, so it’s possible to keep an eye on things as they unfold. A major plus. As of this writing, however, horse racing is the only sport they offer live streaming on. Hopefully, they’ll expand this feature going forward.
Boylesport Bonuses and Promotions
Boylesport score big with their wide array of bonuses and promotions starting with the Boylesport Welcome Bonus. It’s yet another in a long list of reasons why they’re now knocking on the door of the industry leaders. Current promotions include:
- £50 Boylesport Welcome Bonus – Open a Boylesport account today and bet £25 at even odds or bigger and claim a £25 Boylesport free bet. But don’t stop there. Place five more £25 bets at 2.0 odds or better and get another £25 Boylesport free bet.
- NFL Acca Boylesport bonus insurance – If you place a five team or larger NFL acca and one of the teams doesn’t deliver you’ll get money back in the form of a Boylesport free bet.
- Football Double Bubble Bonus – If the first goalscorer in a Premier League match provides the winner within the first 20 minutes, you’ll receive a Boylesport bonus that doubles your stake up to £50.
- Stuck in the gate refund – Should your horse fail to start any race regardless of the reason Boylesport will refund your bet.
- Best Price Guaranteed – Another Boylesport bonus that’s a big hit with punters. Boylesport guarantees the best prices on every UK or Irish horse race they offer. If the final price is larger than the price, you took you’ll be paid out at the higher price.
- Boylesport Welcome Bonus II – When a new customer bets £10 and loses their bet will be covered with a £5 Boylesport free bet.
Check the site every time you log on for more Boylesport bonus offers and promotions.
Deposits and Payments
Boylesport fall into the middle of the pack when it comes to deposit and payment methods. Currently acceptable methods of transacting business with Boylesport are:
- VISA credit and debit
- Mastercard credit and debit
- Bank Transfer
What We Like About Boylesport
We like the outsider spirit. We like the insane number of in-play live betting options. We like the fact that they’ve introduced live streaming to the site even if it is on a limited basis for the time being. We like the Bolyesport Welcome bonus, the Bolyesport free bet plays and the various types of Boylesport bonus offerings. We like the fact that the website is glitch free. We like that they pay off in a timely fashion and we like that they’ll write us a cheque if that’s what we want.
What We’re Not Crazy About
We’re not crazy about the fact that depositing through Neteller or Moneybookers, as this means we’re unable to claim the Boylesport Welcome bonus. We don’t like that they only offer live streaming of select horse races, although as we said above, it beats nothing. We’re not crazy about the fairly limited number of deposit and payment options. And the colour scheme of the website is enough to give you a headache.
John Boyle is a modern rags to riches story of the highest order. Here’s a man with few lights in his life who picked himself up by his bootstraps and turned himself into one of Ireland’s richest businessmen. Beyond the personal story, however, is the gambling business itself and the website in particular. It has a lot of things going for it, and with only a few tweaks, an addition or two, some persistence and some good luck, Boylesport could realistically enter the upper echelon of online gambling websites. Punters in both Ireland and Old Blighty will no doubt continue to migrate to Boylesport for the array of sports markets and overall quality of the service.