Marc Bartra Surgery After Explosions
Borussia Dortmund’s Marc Bartra has undergone surgery, after the team bus was caught up in a series of explosions on their way to the Champions League quarter-final last night. The quarter-final between Borussia Dortmund and Monaco was postponed on Tuesday evening, but due to the fixture congestion, it’s been rescheduled for this evening as there was no other option for the fixture to be played.
Dortmund's press spokesman Sascha Fligge said: "Marc Bartra will be operated on, he has broken the radius (bone) in his right wrist, and there are foreign bodies in the arm.
"The Borussia family has shown that we close ranks in difficult times and that's what we also want to do for Marc."
Dortmund Captain Marcel Schmelzer said: "We're all in shock, and our thoughts are with Marc. We hope that he will make a speedy recovery."
The first explosion happened shortly after 6 pm, just after the Dortmund team had left the L'Arrivee Hotel and Spa. The team bus was on standard route to the Westfalenstadion stadium, when the attack happened. The German police confirmed that there were three explosions in the vicinity of the Dortmund coach, and that they believed that the devices had been concealed in the nearby hedgerow alongside the main road. A letter found at the scene claiming responsibility is now being examined by experts, to determine whether it’s genuine. Reports in the German media have suggested that the attacks were carried out by an Islamic extremist group, but as of yet, this hasn’t been confirmed by the German authorities.
The game will now kick off at 5.45pm this evening. The other quarter-final between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid is also this evening, and the German police have confirmed that both games will have tightened security in the wake of last night.